Eleven Gujarat policemen killed as van falls in well
Dahod: Eleven police personnel, including six women, were on Friday killed when the driver of the van transporting them suffered a heart attack and the vehicle fell into a well near here, officials said.
The van ferrying the personnel, members of a police party who were on election duty, fell into a well near Sapoi village in Jhalod taluka of this central Gujarat district, they said.
The 15-member team was coming to Dahod from Jhalod after completing their duty at an election rally of Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi.
"The driver of the police van suffered a heart attack, lost control of the steering and the vehicle slipped into a well," Police Inspector AB Nagori said.
"Six of the 11 Gujarat police personnel who died in the accident were women. Four cops were rescued. There were a total of 15 people in the vehicle," he said.
Police and emergency teams, along with fire brigade officials, pulled out the police personnel and the vehicle from the well.
Modi expressed grief over the accident and announced a compensation of Rs 10 lakh each to the families of those killed, which included the van driver.
The deceased were identified as Sumitra Damor, Gunvanti Padiyabhai, Minakshi Bhuria, Sharda Vasaya, Sheetal Patel, Sangeeta Tadvi, Rasan Ninama, Kevalsinh Patel, Chetan Damor, Sakji Makwana and Jetha Parmar.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India