Eleven Gujarat policemen killed as van falls in well
Dahod: Eleven police personnel, including six women, were on Friday killed when the driver of the van transporting them suffered a heart attack and the vehicle fell into a well near here, officials said.
The van ferrying the personnel, members of a police party who were on election duty, fell into a well near Sapoi village in Jhalod taluka of this central Gujarat district, they said.
The 15-member team was coming to Dahod from Jhalod after completing their duty at an election rally of Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi.
"The driver of the police van suffered a heart attack, lost control of the steering and the vehicle slipped into a well," Police Inspector AB Nagori said.
"Six of the 11 Gujarat police personnel who died in the accident were women. Four cops were rescued. There were a total of 15 people in the vehicle," he said.
Police and emergency teams, along with fire brigade officials, pulled out the police personnel and the vehicle from the well.
Modi expressed grief over the accident and announced a compensation of Rs 10 lakh each to the families of those killed, which included the van driver.
The deceased were identified as Sumitra Damor, Gunvanti Padiyabhai, Minakshi Bhuria, Sharda Vasaya, Sheetal Patel, Sangeeta Tadvi, Rasan Ninama, Kevalsinh Patel, Chetan Damor, Sakji Makwana and Jetha Parmar.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Osama files show an "Indian brother in Madinah” financed al Qaeda
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- SC asks Haryana Police to finish AIPMT paper leak probe