Eleven Gujarat policemen killed as van falls in well
Dahod: Eleven police personnel, including six women, were on Friday killed when the driver of the van transporting them suffered a heart attack and the vehicle fell into a well near here, officials said.
The van ferrying the personnel, members of a police party who were on election duty, fell into a well near Sapoi village in Jhalod taluka of this central Gujarat district, they said.
The 15-member team was coming to Dahod from Jhalod after completing their duty at an election rally of Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi.
"The driver of the police van suffered a heart attack, lost control of the steering and the vehicle slipped into a well," Police Inspector AB Nagori said.
"Six of the 11 Gujarat police personnel who died in the accident were women. Four cops were rescued. There were a total of 15 people in the vehicle," he said.
Police and emergency teams, along with fire brigade officials, pulled out the police personnel and the vehicle from the well.
Modi expressed grief over the accident and announced a compensation of Rs 10 lakh each to the families of those killed, which included the van driver.
The deceased were identified as Sumitra Damor, Gunvanti Padiyabhai, Minakshi Bhuria, Sharda Vasaya, Sheetal Patel, Sangeeta Tadvi, Rasan Ninama, Kevalsinh Patel, Chetan Damor, Sakji Makwana and Jetha Parmar.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city