Eleven Gujarat policemen killed as van falls in well
Dahod: Eleven police personnel, including six women, were on Friday killed when the driver of the van transporting them suffered a heart attack and the vehicle fell into a well near here, officials said.
The van ferrying the personnel, members of a police party who were on election duty, fell into a well near Sapoi village in Jhalod taluka of this central Gujarat district, they said.
The 15-member team was coming to Dahod from Jhalod after completing their duty at an election rally of Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi.
"The driver of the police van suffered a heart attack, lost control of the steering and the vehicle slipped into a well," Police Inspector AB Nagori said.
"Six of the 11 Gujarat police personnel who died in the accident were women. Four cops were rescued. There were a total of 15 people in the vehicle," he said.
Police and emergency teams, along with fire brigade officials, pulled out the police personnel and the vehicle from the well.
Modi expressed grief over the accident and announced a compensation of Rs 10 lakh each to the families of those killed, which included the van driver.
The deceased were identified as Sumitra Damor, Gunvanti Padiyabhai, Minakshi Bhuria, Sharda Vasaya, Sheetal Patel, Sangeeta Tadvi, Rasan Ninama, Kevalsinh Patel, Chetan Damor, Sakji Makwana and Jetha Parmar.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued