Engineering dropout trying to hack ICICI website held
Ahmedabad: An engineering dropout from Kolkata was arrested here on Saturday for attempting to hack the website of ICICI Bank, police said today.
He intended to set up a clone server to facilitate transfer of funds from the bank and was allegedly being helped by a few IITians.
"We have nabbed a youth and recovered from him certain documents of ICICI Bank as also a laptop, pen drives, disks and a communication set. The bank officials have confirmed that there was an attempt to hack their website and server," City Crime Branch Cyber Cell head K L Patel said.
The youth was identified as Manish Pandey, son of a doctor from Kolkata and a fourth semester dropout of an Engineering college.
Large number of documents pertaining to the bank and its accountholders were recovered from his possession, pointing to his attempt to hack the bank`s website, Patel said.
The youth had conducted a detailed `vulnerability test` of the bank`s website, checked traffic flow details, traced the bank`s server at Bandra Kurla Complex (in Mumbai) and was attempting to set up a clone server to facilitate fund transfer, he said.
Pandey had come to Ahmedabad in search of a destination account holder, through whose account he could have effected fund transfers and he was planning to offer him a commission, Patel said.
"My target was to make fund transfer of Rs 10 crore from the bank so that I could have set up a IIT-JEE coaching institute in Varanasi," Pandey told reporters.
"I did all this with the help of a few IIT-Kanpur students," he claimed.
Whether Pandey was able to hack the bank`s server or not is an issue of investigation. Further investigation would be done by the Forensic Science Laboratory from Gandhinagar, Patel said.
A case has been registered against Pandey under Section 65 and 66 of Information Technology (IT) Act, besides IPC 420.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- Baba Ramdev's Patanjali enters big retail with Future Group tie-up
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar Assembly Elections: Opinion poll predicts absolute majority for Modi-led NDA
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity orphanages to be derecognised?