Escape tunnel case: FIR names four Sabarmati jail officers
Ahmedabad: City police`s Crime Branch has filed FIR against a jail superintendent and three jailers alongwith six others for trying to cover up the seriousness and extent of the sensational jail-break attempt at Sabarmati Central Jail here.
"Nine accused have been charged for destruction of evidence, giving false statements, etc," Crime Branch DCP Himanshu Shukla said. This is apart from the case lodged against those who dug the tunnel.
FIRs have been registered against Jail Superintendent RJ Parghi, jailors D K Vankar, DJ Parmar and Hetu Hirolia, subedaar Dharam C Rabari, convicted prisoner Ghanshyam Singh Rathore and the three accused of Ahmedabad serial blasts case -- Hafiz Hussain alias Adnan, Sibli alias Sabit and Mohd Ansaar.
On February 10, jail officials stumbled upon a 214-feet long tunnel under barrack number 4, allegedly dug by the blasts accused who were housed there.
However, the officials allegedly tried to cover up the seriousness of the lapse in vigilance by putting a big rock in the tunnel to show that it was only 42-feet long. The Crime Branch later found out the real extent of the tunnel only from the interrogation of one of the accused.
A committee set up by the government to fix responsibility of jail staff submitted its report last month.
With the recent arrest of Mohammad Shahid Nagori, the number of persons under custody in serial blasts case has reached 74. Twenty-four others, including Riaz and Iqbal Bhatkal and Mufti Sufian Patangiya are still absconding.
Over 56 persons were killed and more than 100 injured in a series of 21 blasts in Ahmedabad on July 26, 2008.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack