Escape tunnel case: FIR names four Sabarmati jail officers
Ahmedabad: City police`s Crime Branch has filed FIR against a jail superintendent and three jailers alongwith six others for trying to cover up the seriousness and extent of the sensational jail-break attempt at Sabarmati Central Jail here.
"Nine accused have been charged for destruction of evidence, giving false statements, etc," Crime Branch DCP Himanshu Shukla said. This is apart from the case lodged against those who dug the tunnel.
FIRs have been registered against Jail Superintendent RJ Parghi, jailors D K Vankar, DJ Parmar and Hetu Hirolia, subedaar Dharam C Rabari, convicted prisoner Ghanshyam Singh Rathore and the three accused of Ahmedabad serial blasts case -- Hafiz Hussain alias Adnan, Sibli alias Sabit and Mohd Ansaar.
On February 10, jail officials stumbled upon a 214-feet long tunnel under barrack number 4, allegedly dug by the blasts accused who were housed there.
However, the officials allegedly tried to cover up the seriousness of the lapse in vigilance by putting a big rock in the tunnel to show that it was only 42-feet long. The Crime Branch later found out the real extent of the tunnel only from the interrogation of one of the accused.
A committee set up by the government to fix responsibility of jail staff submitted its report last month.
With the recent arrest of Mohammad Shahid Nagori, the number of persons under custody in serial blasts case has reached 74. Twenty-four others, including Riaz and Iqbal Bhatkal and Mufti Sufian Patangiya are still absconding.
Over 56 persons were killed and more than 100 injured in a series of 21 blasts in Ahmedabad on July 26, 2008.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla