Everybody must respect Godhra verdict: Prosecutor
Ahmedabad: Saying he was satisfied, special public prosecutor JM Panchal on Tuesday asked everyone to respect the judgment of a fast track court that convicted 31 people and acquitted 63 in the 2002 Godhra train carnage case.
"It is a judicial verdict and everybody must respect it," he said.
Additional Sessions Judge PR Patel on Tuesday convicted 31 people, accused of hatching a conspiracy that killed 59 people, mostly `kar sevaks` returning from Ayodhya, while they were travelling in S6 coach of Sabarmati Express on February 27, 2002.
The incident, which was labelled as a conspiracy, triggered state-wide communal violence in which over 1,000 people, mostly Muslims, were killed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Yasin Bhatkal calls wife from Hyderabad jail, talks of 'help from Damascus'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?