Ex-associate files defamation suit against Teesta Setalvad
Ahmedabad: A former associate of activist Teesta Setalvad on Wednesday filed a defamation suit against her in a local court.
Rais Khan filed the complaint in the court of judicial magistrate here. Metropolitan magistrate TS Brahmabhatt fixed the hearing on July 18.
"She has published defamatory and derogatory remarks and allegations against me in (NGO) Citizens for Justice and Peace`s magazine, on its website and even in her petition which she had filed in Supreme Court," Khan said.
In the complaint filed under sections 499, 500 and 501 of IPC, he has claimed that Setalvad has accused him of discrediting and harassing witnesses of different rioting cases, of deviant behaviour, having close ties with VHP and even having its patronage.
Citing contents of Communalism Combat magazine, CJP`s website and copy of SLP filed by Teesta in Supreme Court, he has prayed to initiate appropriate process and to charge, try, adjudicate and punish the accused in accordance with law.
After 2002 Gujarat riots, CJP got involved in helping the riot victims and providing them support in their legal battle. Khan worked as a field co-coordinator for CJP till 2008, when he was kicked out of the NGO.
Earlier also, Rais had dragged Teesta to court in a series of applications filed in the special courts trying Naroda Patiya, Gulberg and Sardarpura rioting cases for her alleged role in paying huge amount to witnesses to file false affidavits.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBI confirms Delhi health minister Satyendra Jain's indulgence in Hawala business
- Watch: CM Yogi Adityanath's first speech in UP Assembly house
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- DNA: Reason behind electricity crisis in India despite being power surplus nation
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- India vs Australia: Virat Kohli takes reconciliatory path, says his friendship comment was 'blown out of proportion'
- Sunil Grover joining AIB? Here’s the truth
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users