Ex-associate files defamation suit against Teesta Setalvad
Ahmedabad: A former associate of activist Teesta Setalvad on Wednesday filed a defamation suit against her in a local court.
Rais Khan filed the complaint in the court of judicial magistrate here. Metropolitan magistrate TS Brahmabhatt fixed the hearing on July 18.
"She has published defamatory and derogatory remarks and allegations against me in (NGO) Citizens for Justice and Peace`s magazine, on its website and even in her petition which she had filed in Supreme Court," Khan said.
In the complaint filed under sections 499, 500 and 501 of IPC, he has claimed that Setalvad has accused him of discrediting and harassing witnesses of different rioting cases, of deviant behaviour, having close ties with VHP and even having its patronage.
Citing contents of Communalism Combat magazine, CJP`s website and copy of SLP filed by Teesta in Supreme Court, he has prayed to initiate appropriate process and to charge, try, adjudicate and punish the accused in accordance with law.
After 2002 Gujarat riots, CJP got involved in helping the riot victims and providing them support in their legal battle. Khan worked as a field co-coordinator for CJP till 2008, when he was kicked out of the NGO.
Earlier also, Rais had dragged Teesta to court in a series of applications filed in the special courts trying Naroda Patiya, Gulberg and Sardarpura rioting cases for her alleged role in paying huge amount to witnesses to file false affidavits.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened