`Ex-Guj Min spoke of Modi complicity in riots`
Ahmedabad: In fresh problems for Narendra
Modi, a former High Court judge on Friday said ex-Home Minister
Haren Pandya told him during his visit to Gujarat after 2002
riots as part of a fact finding team that the Chief Minister
allegedly directed the police to give Hindus a free hand to
vent their anger during the riots.
Justice H Suresh, a retired Bombay High Court judge, also
alleged today that the Supreme Court-appointed Special
Investigation Team (SIT) appears to have ignored the
statements recorded by it of him and another member of the
People`s Tribunal Justice P B Sawant, a former Supreme Court
Both the judges were members of the fact-finding team
headed by veteran jurist and former Supreme Court judge
Justice V R Krishna Iyer, which had gone to Gujarat in
March-April 2002 after the post-Godhra riots.
Suresh said the evidence of the tribunal given to SIT
on alleged instructions given to police by Modi to teach
Muslims a lesson hours after the Godhra train attack was based
on what was told to them by Pandya on May 13, 2002. Pandya was
murdered on March 26, 2003.
Suresh said the Tribunal had an audio recording of
Pandya`s statement to it in which he said Modi had called a
meeting on the night of February 27 hours after the Godhra
train attack where he allegedly told the police to look the
other way during the riots.
"In that (the recording) he (Pandya) has stated that
there was a meeting at chief Minister`s place, where he
directed the police what to do and what not to do. He told the
police actually that they should give free hand to the Hindus,
who would act in their own way," Justice Suresh said to a news agency.
He said Pandya`s statement was relevant and "cannot be
ignored" in a court of law.
"I was there, Justice Sawant was there and he(Pandya)
said this in our presence," the former judge said, adding "the
SIT recorded out statements".
He also said that the tribunal had given the SIT the
audio recording of Pandya.
The SIT last week submitted its final report to a local
court on its probe into allegations of Modi`s involvement in
the riots here and it is believed to have given a clean chit
to the Chief Minister.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon