Ex-Gujarat cop held in Sadik Jamal encounter case
Ahmedabad: The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI), probing the 2003 alleged fake encounter case of Sadik Jamal, Thursday arrested one of the main accused - retired DySP KM Vaghela.
After his arrest, Vaghela was produced before the Special CBI court of additional chief judicial magistrate H S Khutwad, who sent him in judicial custody.
Earlier, the Special CBI court had issued a non bailable warrant (NBW) against him.
Vaghela, a retired DySP, was police inspector in January 2003 with the Detection of Crime Branch (DCB), Ahmedabad and part of the team which allegedly killed Sadik, a resident of Bhavnagar, in a fake encounter on the outskirts of the city.
Vaghela, against whom the CBI had earlier filed a charge sheet in the case, was absconding.
In this case, CBI had till now arrested eight accused, including DySP Tarun Barot, six other policemen and former Mumbai journalist Ketan Tirodkar, who is on bail at present.
With this, the number of present and former policemen who have been arrested in the case has gone up to eight and total number of arrests has gone to nine.
The genuineness of the encounter became an issue after Mumbai-based former journalist Ketan Tirodkar filed an affidavit before a court in Mumbai that he was witness to Jamal`s hand-over to Gujarat police by `encounter specialist` officer Daya Nayak of Mumbai police, a few days before the alleged encounter.
In June 2011, the High Court had ordered a CBI probe upon a petition of Sabir Jamal, Sadik`s brother.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Is there life after death?