Ex-Gujarat cop held in Sadik Jamal encounter case
Ahmedabad: The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI), probing the 2003 alleged fake encounter case of Sadik Jamal, Thursday arrested one of the main accused - retired DySP KM Vaghela.
After his arrest, Vaghela was produced before the Special CBI court of additional chief judicial magistrate H S Khutwad, who sent him in judicial custody.
Earlier, the Special CBI court had issued a non bailable warrant (NBW) against him.
Vaghela, a retired DySP, was police inspector in January 2003 with the Detection of Crime Branch (DCB), Ahmedabad and part of the team which allegedly killed Sadik, a resident of Bhavnagar, in a fake encounter on the outskirts of the city.
Vaghela, against whom the CBI had earlier filed a charge sheet in the case, was absconding.
In this case, CBI had till now arrested eight accused, including DySP Tarun Barot, six other policemen and former Mumbai journalist Ketan Tirodkar, who is on bail at present.
With this, the number of present and former policemen who have been arrested in the case has gone up to eight and total number of arrests has gone to nine.
The genuineness of the encounter became an issue after Mumbai-based former journalist Ketan Tirodkar filed an affidavit before a court in Mumbai that he was witness to Jamal`s hand-over to Gujarat police by `encounter specialist` officer Daya Nayak of Mumbai police, a few days before the alleged encounter.
In June 2011, the High Court had ordered a CBI probe upon a petition of Sabir Jamal, Sadik`s brother.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore