Ex Setalvad aide seeks lifting of stay on probe in riot case
New Delhi: An estranged former aide of social activist Teesta Setalvad on Tuesday moved the Supreme Court seeking lifting of the stay on the investigation into a case of alleged fabrication of evidence in a 2002 post-Godhra riot incident.
Rais Khan Pathan has sought vacation of apex court`s September 2, 2011 order by which probe against him and Setalvad was stayed for allegedly fabricating evidence in the Naroda Gam case in which 11 people were killed.
She had challenged the July 11, 2011 decision of the Gujarat High Court giving green signal for probe against them.
The High Court order was stayed by an apex court bench headed by Justice Aftab Alam.
Setalvad, who is heading the NGO, Citizen for Justice and Peace (CJP) working in the state in the aftermath of 2002 riots along with Pathan has been made accused in the case.
Pathan, who worked as field coordinator with CJP before parting ways with Setalvad, submitted that if the probe was not allowed to progress, there was possibility of destruction of evidence related to the case. Undue influence, inducement and threat to witnesses cannot be ruled out, he said.
In the application, he claimed that he has come forward to tell the truth and has voluntarily decided to join the investigation to unearth the larger conspiracy and hidden truth behind the present case.
Earlier, Pathan had filed an application on February 19 seeking recusal of Justice Alam from hearing the case.
He contended that there is "a reasonable likelihood of bias" in hearing the matter by him as he had delivered a lecture in London on `Promoting Pluralism Knowledge Program` (PPKP) with which his daughter is associated.
Further he had said that his daughter is part of some NGOs working for the riot victims in Gujarat.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow