Families in Guj find it difficult to fit into BPL norms: Patel
Ahmedabad: At a time when Gujarat ranks
sixth in Human Development Index report, State Industry
Minister Saurabh Patel said families from Gujarat find it
difficult to fit into norms for Below Poverty Line (BPL)
defined by the Centre.
"When Centre makes norms for BPL families it is very
difficult for the family from Gujarat to fit in because one of
the basic norm for a BPL family is that he should not have a
fan," State Industry Minister Saurabh Patel said.
He was addressing a gathering at an event organised to
mark opening of sub-regional office of EEPC India, here.
"To increase the yield of milk, people in Gujarat have
fans in cattle sheds because they see fan produces coolness
that increases milk production," Patel said.
"You go to a village and you will find every house has
a TV. We dont have to give sops of free TVs, it is natural
because the growth in economy has led to buying," he said.
"In a small village the person is buying 2,3 and 4
wheelers and the quantum of vehicles in the state has increase
more in the rural sector than in the urban sector, this is
inclusive growth," Patel said.
However, figures of first Human Development Report of
Gujarat titled-Gujarat Human Development Report-2004-shows
that state lacks in all round development.
It said the state has to further re-orient its
development process to ensure that its economic growth
improves the opportunities in the lives of all socio-economic
groups in the state.
The report also recommends to strengthen the linkage
between economic growth and human development. Gujarat ranked
6th in HDI in 2001.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India