Farmer commits suicide in Gujarat
Rajkot: A farmer on Saturday allegedly committed suicide due to crop failure by consuming poisonous substance in Khorala village on the outskirts of the city here, police officials said.
The man was identified as Vala Jeeva Modh who consumed the poison at his field, later reached home and informed his son about the act, they said.
Modh told his son that he had taken the drastic step due to crop failure, the officials said adding his son took him to the hospital but he was declared brought dead by the medical staff.
There has been deficient rains in Gujarat this monsoon, impacting the crop, especially in Saurashtra and Kutch region of the state.
The state government had recently declared 14 districts and 152 talukas of the state as "scarcity-hit" due to deficient rains.
It has announced a package with fodder subsidies and out-of-turn power connections in dark zones (with low underground water levels) among others measures taken to handle the difficult situation arising due to water scarcity in certain pockets of the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list