Farmer commits suicide in Gujarat
Rajkot: A farmer on Saturday allegedly committed suicide due to crop failure by consuming poisonous substance in Khorala village on the outskirts of the city here, police officials said.
The man was identified as Vala Jeeva Modh who consumed the poison at his field, later reached home and informed his son about the act, they said.
Modh told his son that he had taken the drastic step due to crop failure, the officials said adding his son took him to the hospital but he was declared brought dead by the medical staff.
There has been deficient rains in Gujarat this monsoon, impacting the crop, especially in Saurashtra and Kutch region of the state.
The state government had recently declared 14 districts and 152 talukas of the state as "scarcity-hit" due to deficient rains.
It has announced a package with fodder subsidies and out-of-turn power connections in dark zones (with low underground water levels) among others measures taken to handle the difficult situation arising due to water scarcity in certain pockets of the state.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- It's a reality, Muslim youths from South India more attracted to ISIS: Kiren Rijiju
- PM Narendra Modi meets journalists at Diwali Milan
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?