Farmer commits suicide in Gujarat
Rajkot: A farmer on Saturday allegedly committed suicide due to crop failure by consuming poisonous substance in Khorala village on the outskirts of the city here, police officials said.
The man was identified as Vala Jeeva Modh who consumed the poison at his field, later reached home and informed his son about the act, they said.
Modh told his son that he had taken the drastic step due to crop failure, the officials said adding his son took him to the hospital but he was declared brought dead by the medical staff.
There has been deficient rains in Gujarat this monsoon, impacting the crop, especially in Saurashtra and Kutch region of the state.
The state government had recently declared 14 districts and 152 talukas of the state as "scarcity-hit" due to deficient rains.
It has announced a package with fodder subsidies and out-of-turn power connections in dark zones (with low underground water levels) among others measures taken to handle the difficult situation arising due to water scarcity in certain pockets of the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- IND vs AUS, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...
- BMC poll results: Shiv Sena approaches Congress for pact, party says 'not interested'
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian man Srinivas Kuchibhotla shot dead in Kansas bar while watching basketball game - Know what happened