Fast Vs fast: Vaghela to fast to counter Modi
Ahmedabad: In a counter-move against
Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi`s proposed fast, state
Congress, under the leadership of Shankarsinh Vaghela, has
announced a parallel fast at the same time.
"Shankarsinh Vaghela will lead and other Congress leaders
will also join him in the fast against Modi. It will start
from September 17 at Sabarmati Ashram," sources in Gujarat
To `out-fast` Modi, Congress leaders` fast will last "two
hours longer" than his.
Buoyed by the Supreme Court`s ruling in Gulberg Society
riot case, Modi had yesterday announced he would undertake a
three-day fast for peace, harmony and unity in the state.
Modi said his fast would be a part of a `Sadbhavna
"Looking at his track record, Modi has no right to speak
of Sadbhavna. We will expose him through our fast," a senior
Congress leader said.
"The main issue this time is corruption of Modi
government and to divert attention of the people from the
issue, Modi has undertaken this fast. But we will bring the
focus back to corruption in his administration as an issue in
our fast," a Congress leader said.
Political rivalry between Modi and Vaghela dates back to
the time when both of them were in BJP.
Vaghela left BJP and formed his own party called
Rashtriya Janata Party in 1996. He later joined Congress.
After his defeat in 2009 Lok Sabha elections to BJP
candidate from Godhra seat, Vaghela was sidelined in Congress.
However, he was appointed as head of the party`s campaign
committee for Gujarat elections on September 2, after which he
announced that he would fight Modi tooth and nail in the state
elections scheduled in December 2012.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling