File affidavit for opposing CBI probe in Ishrat case: Guj HC
Ahmedabad: The Gujarat High Court today
asked the state government to file an affidavit giving reasons
for its opposition to CBI probe in Ishrat Jahan encounter case
of 2004, instead of making oral submissions.
A division bench of Justices Jayant Patel and
Abhilasha Kumari asked advocate general Kamal Trivedi,
appearing for the state, to explain why despite instruction
from the court before commencement of the hearing, the state
government did not file any affidavit.
If state is opposed to transfer of Ishrat encounter
case to CBI it has to demonstrate it with reasons for its
opposition, the court told Trivedi.
The court would also like to know what material the
state was relying upon to take such a stand, it said, adding
that the state needs to file its reply in writing.
The Apex court has laid down certain parameters for
transferring a case to CBI, and the petitioners have contended
that the case falls within those parameters, the court said,
adding the state has not indicated its stand despite earlier
Trivedi told the court that he would file an
Ishrat was gunned down by Gujarat police along with
Javed Ghulam Sheikh alias Pranesh Kumar Pillai, Amjad Ali
alias Rajkumar Akbar Ali Rana and Jisan Johar Abdul Gani in
Ahmedabad on June 15, 2004.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical