File affidavit for opposing CBI probe in Ishrat case: Guj HC
Ahmedabad: The Gujarat High Court on Tuesday
asked the state government to file an affidavit giving reasons
for its opposition to CBI probe in Ishrat Jahan encounter case
of 2004, instead of making oral submissions.
A division bench comprising Justices Jayant Patel and
Abhilasha Kumari asked advocate general Kamal Trivedi,
appearing for the state, to explain why despite instruction
from the court before commencement of the hearing the state
government did not file any affidavit.
If the state is opposed to transfer of Ishrat encounter
case to CBI it has to explain it with reasons for its
opposition, the court told Trivedi.
The court would also like to know what material the state
was relying upon to take such a stand. The state needs to file
its reply in writing, it said.
The apex court has laid down certain parameters for
transferring a case to CBI, and the petitioners have contended
that the case falls within those parameters, the court said,
adding the state has not indicated its stand despite earlier
Trivedi told the court that he would file an affidavit
Ishrat was gunned down along with Javed Ghulam Sheikh
alias Pranesh Kumar Pillai, Amjad Ali alias Rajkumar Akbar Ali
Rana and Jisan Johar Abdul Gani by Gujarat Police in Ahmedabad
on June 15, 2004.
The court also sought response of the state in case it
considers reconstitution of the SIT or transfer the probe to
Anti Terrorist Squad as per National Human Rights Commission
(NHRC) guidelines or any other agency.
The petitioners who have demanded CBI probe also said the
state has no right to challenge Tamang`s report saying the
magistrate`s report was ordered by the state itself. The
report had said the Ishrat encounter was fake.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!