File complaint against former aide of Teesta Setalvad: Court
Ahmedabad: A special court hearing the
2002 Naroda Gam riot case on Friday ordered that a criminal
complaint be registered against Rais Khan, a former aide of
social activist Teesta Setalvad, for fabricating evidence.
Designated judge S H Vohra also rejected Khan`s
application to become a court witness in the post-Godhra case
at Naroda Gam here, where 11 people of the minority community
were killed during riots on February 28, 2002.
According to special public prosecutor Ajay Choksi,
the court agreed to his contentions that Khan was involved in
making false affidavits in the name of riot victims.
Khan has admitted that he had acted on somebody`s
orders in preparing false affidavits, he said.
The court ordered the Registrar of the Sessions and
Civil Court here to file an offence against Khan and others
under Sections 193 to 200 (all pertaining to fabrication of
evidence and making false statements) of IPC.
Choksi, representing the prosecution agency Special
Investigation Team (SIT), last month had opposed Khan`s
application of becoming a court witness.
He argued that Khan had approached the court with an
intention of helping some of the accused in the case, who have
not opposed his plea. Choksi had also questioned Khan`s
silence on the matter since the trial in the case began a year
On the other hand, Khan had contended that he could
throw light on some aspects of the case.
Khan had further said he should be allowed to give his
version as some of the witnesses in the case have alleged that
he had manipulated their affidavits.
After the riots, Khan had worked as coordinator with
Centre for Justice and Peace (CJP), the NGO headed by
Setalvad, from February 28, 2002 to January 18, 2008.
Khan, in his application, had stated that he was
merely an employee of CJP and his job was to get instructions
regularly from Setalvad over phone and e-mails, contact riot
victims or witnesses in various parts of Gujarat and to pursue
them to join hands with the NGO to file cases in the courts.
He denied manipulating affidavits as alleged by some
of the witnesses and further said his duty as CJP coordinator
was limited to managing affidavits and handing them over to
Setalvad or her advocate.
Khan said he used to get fully prepared affidavits in
English on his e-mail from Setalvad which he got notarised
from the witnesses or victims concerned and handed them over
to her or advocate of CJP.
A similar application by Khan was filed in the Gulburg
society riot case, where the judge had ordered SIT to record
Khan`s statement and probe it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India