Final view being taken on Ishrat supplementary charge sheet
New Delhi: The top brass of CBI is analysing the evidence against the Intelligence Bureau officials gathered by the investigation team in the nine-year old Ishrat Jahan encounter killing case to ascertain whether their acts were part of routine duty or a conspiracy.
CBI sources said the investigation in the Ishrat Jahan encounter case has been wound up and is awaiting the nod of the Director who is going through the findings of the probe team.
The sources said a supplementary charge sheet will be filed after the CBI Director is convinced that all aspects in the encounter have been properly investigated and there are no loopholes in the theory given by the probe team.
They said the agency has already taken views of CBI Prosecution Department but if the Director differs with their views, the matter may be referred to the Attorney General.
The CBI Director is looking into various issues with regard to the role of four IB officials who are under suspicion which include whether they were doing their normal duty or were part of the conspiracy, whether sanction for their prosecution is needed, whether the chain of evidence points towards culpability in the encounter or not.
The sources said only when the Director is satisfied on all points, the agency would move for filing the supplementary charge sheet in the case relating to the encounter in which 19-year old college Ishrat Jahan and three others were killed by Gujarat Crime Branch officials in 2004.
They said CBI has still not got any clue about the antecedants of--Zeeshan Johar and Amjad Ali Rana--who were also killed in the encounter.
Gujarat Police alleged them they were LeT terrorists who had come to assassinate BJP leaders.
The agency is not very hopeful of getting replies to its judicial requests sent to Pakistan seeking the identity of Johar and Rana but sources said it would not deter it from filing supplementary charge sheet.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: PM Modi's 23rd edition of Mann ki Baat
- Vishal Dadlani apologises after tweet on Jain monk backfires
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- Sania Mirza overcomes Rio failure; lifts the Connecticut Open trophy to gear up for US Open
- MASSIVE! Salman Khan's 'Sultan' celebrates 50 days in theatres – Details inside
- Vishal Dadlani apologises, quits politics after controversial Jain monk tweet
- Toni Kroos rocket rescues Real Madrid in Cristiano Ronaldo's absence; Atletico Madrid held again
- Suspected Kurdish militants fire rockets at Turkey's Diyarbakir airport: Media