Fine on petitioner seeking Gujarat Guv recall
Ahmedabad: The Gujarat High Court on Friday
rejected a PIL seeking recall of Governor Kamla and imposed a
fine of Rs 25,000 on the petitioner.
A Division Bench of Chief justices A L Dave and J B
Pardiwala noted that the PIL, filed by Lucknow-based advocate
Asok Pande, lacked basic requirements of a public interest.
The Bench observed it didn`t know "if it was a personal
interest litigation or a political interest litigation, but it
surely did not seem to be a public interest litigation".
The court imposed a fine of Rs 25,000 on Pande and
directed him to deposit the amount within four weeks with the
Gujarat State Legal Service Authority (GSLSA).
During the hearing on the PIL last week, the court had
asked Pande to explain what was the public interest in his
litigation and how the appointment of Governor was
unconstitutional as alleged in his PIL.
Questioning the PIL`s maintainability, the court had
told Pande that it was not clear in the petition whether he
wanted to recall the Governor or was raising objections on her
Pande had filed the PIL early this month seeking recall of
Gujarat Governor alleging that due process of law was not
followed in her appointment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets