Fiona will testify in Scarlett murder case: Lawyer
Panaji: Fiona Mackeown, the mother of slain
British teenager Scarlett Eden Keeling, will come to India to
assist the prosecution in her daughter`s murder case as her
sentence has been suspended for two years by a United Kingdom
court, her lawyer said on Thursday.
"Fiona is ready to come to India and assist the court as
soon as date for her deposition is fixed," her lawyer Vikram
Fiona`s presence for the trial was uncertain after she
was sentenced eight months imprisonment for alleged benefit
The British court has suspended Fiona`s sentence for two
years and has not barred her from visiting India, Varma said.
A juvenile court in Goa is hearing the murder case of
Scarlett, who was found dead at Anjuna shore on February 18,
2008. Two locals -? Samson D`Souza and Placido Carvalho --
have been booked for allegedly drugging, sexually abusing and
leaving the British teenager to die on the beach.
The court, which is now on vacation, is hearing the case
thrice a week. The case proceedings will begin in first week
of June after the court meets post-vacation.
Varma said Fiona`s testimony is very crucial in this
case. "She was supposed to arrive in India on April 15 but had
to cancel her trip as cyclonic ash had jeopardised the entire
air travel in UK," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof