Fire at commercial building in Surat brought under control
A major fire which broke out in a multi-storeyed commercial building here today was brought under control after a 12-hour long operation by fire brigade teams, fire department officials said.
Surat: A major fire which broke out in a multi-storeyed commercial building here today was brought under control after a 12-hour long operation by fire brigade teams, fire department officials said. "The fire is under control and we are making sure that it does not start once again. The process of cooling is on," a fire brigade officer said.
Fire broke out on the fourth floor of Orchid Towers in Vipul House, a saree market located in front of Sardar market in the Puna-Kumbhania area at around 10 am.
The officer said that no casualities or injuries were reported and losses incurred due to the fire is also not known.
"Apart from deploying 12 Surat fire brigade teams with their equipment, we also took help from fire brigade teams from Vapi, Navsari, Bardoli, Ankleswar, Vyara and Valsad," the officer said.
More than 500 firefighters were deployed at the spot with five water vouchers, five hydraulic tankers, ten water tankers, two heavy water tankers, three ambulances and three other vehicles for rescue operations.
The officer said that private companies including Essar, Reliance, NTPC, Kribhko and ONGC had also sent their equipment.
The exact reason behind the fire was not known, though some officials belive that it caused due to a short circuit.
As per onlookers` accounts, the fire reached all top floors of the building. Firefighters have been ordered not to leave the place or ignore any untoward incident.