Fire breaks out in top Ahmedabad hotel; no casualties
Ahmedabad: A fire broke out in a premier hotel here this morning but no casualties were reported, a Fire Department official said.
The blaze started following a short-circuit in the motor of kitchen duct on the first floor of Courtyard Marriott Hotel located on Satellite Road, the official said.
Four fire tenders were rushed to the spot after receiving information from hotel authorities and eyewitnesses.
"The fire was brought under control within two hours. There are no casualties. The estimated losses amount to Rs 4-5 lakh," Additional Chief Fire Officer Rajesh Bhatt told PTI.
The Ahmedabad Municipal Corporation (AMC)`s Health Department had issued a notice to Courtyard Marriott over its poor disposal of food waste which would get accumulated in the kitchen duct, he said.
The oily stuff in the waste obstructed the smooth flow of hot air. As a result, the duct`s motor was heavily loaded and this subsequently resulted in an electric short-circuit, causing the fire today, Bhatt explained.
This was not the first fire incident at the luxury hotel. On March 31, 2011, a blaze had broken out in the steam bath unit located in the health club on the third floor of the hotel due to an electrical snag.
The civic body had temporarily sealed the hotel at that time for non-adherence of fire safety norms, Bhatt said.
Whenever the city hosts international cricket matches, players are put up in Courtyard Marriott. In November and December last year, the England and thereafter Pakistani teams stayed in this hotel.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Pakistan's ISI spy ring busted in India, BSF jawan among 2 held in Jammu, 3 agents apprehended in Kolkata