Fire in IIM`s placement office, no injuries
Ahmedabad: A major fire Friday broke out in the placement office of the Indian Institute of Management here, but there were no injuries.
"A fire broke out in the placement office of IIM-A this morning. Short circuit in the AC unit seems to be the cause of the fire. No casualties or injuries were reported. The placement office, which is located in the basement, suffered extensive damage," an official said.
At least 10 computers, as many ACs, four printers, a refrigerator, a coffee machine and other office furniture were damaged in the fire, he said, adding that it took close to three hours for the fire-fighter to douse the flames.
Bodakdev fire station officer M P Mistry said three water tankers and one mini fire-fighter were pressed into service.
The institute said in a statement that the loss caused by the fire is being assessed, and added that this would not affect the summer placement process.
"We do not anticipate adverse impact on the next major placement activity i.e., summer internship placements scheduled during the later half of the year," the statement said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa suffers cardiac arrest; being monitored
- Watch: PM Modi addresses rally in Moradabad, UP - Part II
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what