Fire in IIM`s placement office, no injuries
Ahmedabad: A major fire Friday broke out in the placement office of the Indian Institute of Management here, but there were no injuries.
"A fire broke out in the placement office of IIM-A this morning. Short circuit in the AC unit seems to be the cause of the fire. No casualties or injuries were reported. The placement office, which is located in the basement, suffered extensive damage," an official said.
At least 10 computers, as many ACs, four printers, a refrigerator, a coffee machine and other office furniture were damaged in the fire, he said, adding that it took close to three hours for the fire-fighter to douse the flames.
Bodakdev fire station officer M P Mistry said three water tankers and one mini fire-fighter were pressed into service.
The institute said in a statement that the loss caused by the fire is being assessed, and added that this would not affect the summer placement process.
"We do not anticipate adverse impact on the next major placement activity i.e., summer internship placements scheduled during the later half of the year," the statement said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mann Ki Baat: PM Modi pays tribute to Kargil war martyrs
- Parade and hang Tiger, not Yakub: Salman Khan
- India to give fresh dossier to Pakistan on Lakhvi, Dawood, Hafiz
- Veterans serve country but do not get their due, says Anna Hazare
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- PM Modi's 10th edition of 'Mann Ki Baat': As it happened
- Anna Hazare extends support to ex-servicemen over OROP protests
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- Mann ki Baat: Govt to provide cashless treatment to road accident victims, says PM Modi
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday