Fisherman who had died in Pak, cremated in Gujarat village
Vadodara: The fisherman, who had died in Karachi jail in Pakistan in December, was cremated at his native village Garal in Una taluka of Junagadh district on Sunday.
The mortal remains of th 35-year-old fisherman Bhikha Lakha Shiyal had been flown to Mumbai from Karachi yesterday.
The fisherman`s 12-year-old daughter Bhavika, lit the funeral pyre.
Shiyal was reportedly captured, along with seven fishermen, by sleuths of the Pakistani Maritime Security on October 25 last year, when their fishing trawler allegedly entered into that country`s territorial waters.
Shiyal and others were reportedly fishing near Jakhau port in Kutch district when the incident happened.
His family had alleged that Shiyal was tortured to death.
The issue shot into prominence after state chief minister Narendra Modi sought intervention of Congress president Sonia Gandhi and the Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.
Shiyal`s minor daughter had also written to Sonia and the Prime Minister seeking their help in arranging visas for Shiyal`s family members to visit Karachi jail.
Sonia`s political secretary Ahmed Patel had also taken up the issue with the External Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid on February 10.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' releases early morning at 6 am in Mumbai!
- Jharkhand: Zee Media honors ten environmentalists with Green Warrior Award
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley?
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part II
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part III
- Bhagwant Mann must be refrained from entering into Parliament: JD(U)
- Pokemon GO launched in Japan, thousands start hunting and capturing monsters
- Oppressed Dalits will teach a lesson to BJP: Arvind Kejriwal in Gujarat
- Una incident: Dalit victim back in hospital ahead of Rahul Gandhi’s visit under 'political pressure'
- Chinese anti-graft protest leader arrested for taking bribes