Fishermen demands financial assistance from Guj govt
Rajkot: Fishermen Association of
Porbander has urged Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi to
extend financial support to the fishermen whose fishing boats
were seized by Pakistani marine agency after they had strayed
into Pak waters while fishing.
Pakistan Marine Security agency has seized about 490
boats of fishermen from Saurashtra of which nearly 300 boats
belong to fishermen from Porbander, Secretary of National Fish
Forum Manish Lodhari told PTI.
He said that two years back, union government had
devised a scheme for the affected fishermen offering financial
help to them and few fishermen have already received Rs 12
lakh each, Lodhari said urging Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra
Modi also to follow the centre`s move.
A boat costs about Rs 28/30 lakh and assistance of Rs
12 lakh given by the centre is not enough. If the state
government also extends similar assistance, fishermen would be
able to build new boats, Lodhari said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- What's the motive behind politicising Yakub Memon's death penalty?
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY