Five labourers killed after blast in oil tanker
Ahmedabad: Five labourers were on Saturday killed and two others seriously injured after a blast in an oil tanker at Alang ship-breaking yard in Bhavnagar, police said.
"Labourers were working on the tanker when the blast took place. Soon, the tanker caught fire that killed five labourers and their bodies were charred. Two persons, who were seriously injured in the incident, were admitted to a local hospital," Bhavnagar SP Mahendrasinh Pawar said.
The cause of the blast was yet to be established and officials of the Forensic Science Laboratory had started their investigations, he said.
To a question regarding fire-safety measures on the tanker that was being broken down, Pawar said, "As of now, we have no idea whether the labourers had a safety kit with them or not.
"We also do not know about the fire-safety measures inside the oil tanker. But, if any criminal negligence is found on the part of the owner who had purchased the tanker, we will take necessary action," Pawar said.
The tanker was of Portuguese make and brought here by a local company.
The deceased have been identified as Hiralal Chaudhary (28), Ajay Chaudhary (22), Ram Prasad (35), Sanjay Yadav (28) and Subhash Yadav (28), all hailing from Uttar Pradesh, while the injured are Ram Chandra (25) and Dharmendra (37).
Alang, which is the largest ship breaking yard in the world, has often generated controversy about poor working conditions and the impact of ship-breaking on the environment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown