Five-star hotel sealed for non-adherence of fire safety norms
A leading five-star hotel here was sealed by the Ahmedabad Municipal Corporation for not adhering to fire safety norms.
Ahmedabad: A leading five-star hotel was sealed on Saturday by the Ahmedabad Municipal Corporation (AMC) for not adhering to fire safety norms.
"We have sealed the five star hotel Courtyard Marriott
here for not abiding with the fire safety norms," Chief Fire
Officer AMC M F Dastur said.
Following this, the guests at the hotel were shifted to
alternative locations. Several foreign nationals were
seen leaving the hotel, after the process to seal the
building began this afternoon here today.
However, hotel management, when contacted refused to
comment over the issue.
Last Thursday, the fire NOC of the hotel was cancelled by
the officials, after a blaze broke out in its gymnasium room
on third floor, leading to smoke clogging there.
The steam bath unit located in the gymnasium room of the
hotel had caught fire due to a electrical snag, following
which the floor had to be evacuated as there was severe smoke
clogging, a fire official said.
The hotel neither had any natural ventilation system on
the floors for exit of smoke nor they have any smoke
evacuation system installed there, officials said.
"We had asked the hotel management to create a natural
ventilation system or get installed smoke evacuation system in
the interest of public safety and ensure non-use till they are
put in place," they said.
When the hotel management failed to do so we had no
option but to seal the premise, officials added.
AMC officials said they would inspect the hotel
on Monday, as the hotel management are in the process of
removing the deficiency in fire safety measures.
We will open the seal only after the five star
hotel completely install fire safety equipment at their
premises, they said.
Players of the both the teams during the cricket World
Cup quarter final match between India and Australia played
here, were put up at this hotel.