Former Congress MLA joins BJP in Gujarat
Ahmedabad: A former Congress MLA on Tuesday joined
BJP along with his supporters ahead of the Gujarat Assembly
elections scheduled to be held later this year.
"I have joined BJP as I am opposed to the Central
government`s decision to give reservation to Muslims from OBC
quota," Bhavan Bharwad, who is an OBC leader, said.
"They could have given reservation to Muslims in any
other way," the former Congress MLA from Limbdi added.
Bharwad also said the Congress in Gujarat was divided and
party`s state leaders instead of fighting against Modi are
busy in scoring points over each other, which results in
confusing party workers like him.
The former MLA who represents Baharwad community said
that the community has been traditionally supporting Congress,
but with his joining BJP, 80 per cent of them would now
The community accounts for about four per cent population
of the state.
Bharwad was elected from Limbdi constituency in 2002.
However, he lost to BJP candidate in the 2007 elections.
He started his career as a police constable and later
joined politics. Apart from Bharwad, artist Kamini Jani and
president of local Gurudwara, Satnam Singh, also joined BJP on Tuesday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- This video of Brett Lee's 143m six is taking internet by storm – Watch Video
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections 2017: Samajwadi Party's 'kaam bolta hai' slogan faces litmus test