Former Gujarat DGP blames `police inaction` for massacre
Thrissur: Hailing the special court verdict in the Naroda Patiya massacre case, former Gujarat DGP Jatavedan Namboodiri on Sunday said it would have been better if "police action" on the matter had also been investigated.
"Police had ample time to intervene in the brutal murder of 97 members of the minority community, especially women and children...," he said.
"Still police did nothing... If police had discharged its duties punctually, no untoward incident would have occurred in Naroda-Patiya," he said, adding, it would have been better if the "police inaction" had also been investigated.
Namboodiri said he was in Gujarat at the time of the riots in 2002 associated with the activities of the Human Rights Commission, after retiring from the post of Director General of Police.
Four-thousand cases had been registered in connection with the Gujarat riots, he told a news agency.
A special court had on August 31 sentenced BJP MLA Maya Kodnani, a former minister in Narendra Modi government, to 28 years imprisonment in the Naroda Patiya massacre - the worst of 2002 post-Godhra riots - in which 97 people were killed. It also gave a life term to a Bajrang Dal leader till death. Of the 29 other convicts, seven were given a jail term of 21 years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read