Four Dwarkadheesh temple priests arrested for theft of silver
Jamnagar: Four priests of the Dwarkadheesh temple of the Devbhoomi Dwarka district of Gujarat were arrested for taking 11 kg of silver which had been donated to temple trust`s property, police said here on Tuesday.
"One priest Mahant Ramji Bapa had donated a metal flag made of 11 kilograms of silver on March 24, which was taken away by nine temple priests," the police complaint said.
"The priests, who took the silver with them, defended their deed saying that any flag devoted to the Dwarkadheesh temple is their property, while the office-bearer of Dwarkadheesh Devsthan Temple Trust alleged that the priests had breached the trust of devotees by taking it," the complaint said.
"The deputy administrator of temple trust Kamlesh Shah lodged an FIR in the Dwarkadheesh police station against the nine accused for cheating," a Dwarkadheesh police station official said.
"As per Dwarkadheesh Devsthan Temple Trust`s rules, anything made of metal must be sent to the trust treasury but the priest took away the silver flag, though the priests maintained that any flag given to the temple must remain with the priests," the official said.
"We have arrested four of the nine accused priests and charged them under Sections 406 and 114 of the Indian Penal Code which deal with for cheating and breaching trust of an organisation," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India mourns Lance Naik Hanumanthappa Koppad's death: Who said what
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- 'Afzal Guru amar rahe', 'Kashmir lekar rahenge' slogans raised at Press Club of India
- Virat Kohli: Amid break-up rumors, cricketer spends time with most beautiful woman
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing