Four Dwarkadheesh temple priests arrested for theft of silver
Jamnagar: Four priests of the Dwarkadheesh temple of the Devbhoomi Dwarka district of Gujarat were arrested for taking 11 kg of silver which had been donated to temple trust`s property, police said here on Tuesday.
"One priest Mahant Ramji Bapa had donated a metal flag made of 11 kilograms of silver on March 24, which was taken away by nine temple priests," the police complaint said.
"The priests, who took the silver with them, defended their deed saying that any flag devoted to the Dwarkadheesh temple is their property, while the office-bearer of Dwarkadheesh Devsthan Temple Trust alleged that the priests had breached the trust of devotees by taking it," the complaint said.
"The deputy administrator of temple trust Kamlesh Shah lodged an FIR in the Dwarkadheesh police station against the nine accused for cheating," a Dwarkadheesh police station official said.
"As per Dwarkadheesh Devsthan Temple Trust`s rules, anything made of metal must be sent to the trust treasury but the priest took away the silver flag, though the priests maintained that any flag given to the temple must remain with the priests," the official said.
"We have arrested four of the nine accused priests and charged them under Sections 406 and 114 of the Indian Penal Code which deal with for cheating and breaching trust of an organisation," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof