Four Guj districts record 100 % PER and EPIC registration
Ahmedabad: Ahead of this year`s assembly polls in Gujarat, four districts in the state- Ahmedabad, Bharuch, Surendranagar and Sabarkantha have recorded 100 per cent registration of Photo Electoral Rolls (PER) and Electoral Photo Identity Card (EPIC), officials said.
"We have achieved 100 per cent PER and EPIC in four district of the state which are Ahmedabad, Bharuch, Surendranagar and Sabarkantha," a senior official from the State Chief Electoral Office said.
PER includes all the details of the voter as mentioned in the electoral roll in addition to the photograph of the voter, while the EPIC, issued by the Election Commission, is a mandatory identification at the time of voting.
Earlier, the election commission had also reviewed poll-preparedness in areas falling under Patan and Ahmedabad zones.
Deputy Election Commissioner (DEC) Vinod Zutshi, who was on a two-day tour to the state earlier this week, met District Collectors (DCs) and Superintendents of Police (SPs) of districts falling under Patan and Ahmedabad zones this week, the election officer said.
Zutshi held meetings with DCs and SPs of Patan, Sabarkantha, Banaskantha, Mehsana and Kutch (Patan zone) and Ahmedabad, Gandhinagar, Anand, Kheda (Ahmedabad zone), the officer said.
The officer added that DEC discussed details about the addition of new voters to the revised electoral list of August 31, the increase in the number of male, female and NRI voters, among other details with DCs.
The SPs apprised them of the law and order situation, identified sensitive polling stations and requirement of police forces, home guards and paramilitary forces.
Zutshi, however, could not meet the DC and SP of Surendranagar district, which falls under Ahmedabad zone, owing to the volatile law and order situation in Than village, the official informed.
Gujarat has been divided into five zones and the poll preparedness review meeting with DCs and SPs of districts falling under Vadodara, Surat and Rajkot zones had already been undertaken by the DEC in July, the official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Terrorist outfit IS releases hitlist; 4000 people including 285 Indians targeted
- Mumbai: Woman missing after falling in manhole
- Mann Ki Baat: PM recalls dark days of 1975 Emergency, says democracy is our strength
- Mann Ki Baat: Conserve every drop of water, says PM
- PM Modi launches 'Smart City Project' in Pune
- Procedural delay and not failure, says MEA on India's NSG membership issue
- Keith Urban celebrates 10th anniversary with Nicole Kidman
- An award must go to Fawad Khan for his hilarious expression while hugging Deepika Padukone!
- Greg Chappell strikes! Former coach claims team took short-cuts, key players selfish
- Make-up earns men's admiration, women's jealousy