Four infants die after vaccination in Gujarat town
Kutch: Four infants died allegedly after
being administered a vaccine for measles at a government
hospital in Adipur town on Wednesday, district officials said.
The incident took place during `Mamta Day`, organised
by the district health department where children and pregnant
women are administered vaccines.
"As part of the `Mamta Day`, vaccines for measles were
administered to seven children, out of whom four developed
some reaction and died," Kutch Collector M Thennarasan said.
"The reaction time was very little, and the babies
died within 5-10 minutes after being administered the
vaccine," he said.
Chief Minister Narendra Modi has ordered a high-level
enquiry into the incident. He said that those responsible for
the unfortunate incident would be "severely" punished.
He said that entire batch of the vaccine has been
withdrawn from across the state.
Thennarasan said that the other three children who
were also given the vaccine are under observation.
Bodies of the four infants have been sent for
post mortem. "Only after the post mortem, we will be able to
ascertain the cause of death," he said.
The state government has announced a compensation of
Rs one lakh to the parents of the infants.
The samples of the vaccine have been collected by the
Foods and Drugs Control department and sent for analysis.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'