Four infants die after vaccination in Gujarat town
Kutch: Four infants died allegedly after
being administered a vaccine for measles at a government
hospital in Adipur town on Wednesday, district officials said.
The incident took place during `Mamta Day`, organised
by the district health department where children and pregnant
women are administered vaccines.
"As part of the `Mamta Day`, vaccines for measles were
administered to seven children, out of whom four developed
some reaction and died," Kutch Collector M Thennarasan said.
"The reaction time was very little, and the babies
died within 5-10 minutes after being administered the
vaccine," he said.
Chief Minister Narendra Modi has ordered a high-level
enquiry into the incident. He said that those responsible for
the unfortunate incident would be "severely" punished.
He said that entire batch of the vaccine has been
withdrawn from across the state.
Thennarasan said that the other three children who
were also given the vaccine are under observation.
Bodies of the four infants have been sent for
post mortem. "Only after the post mortem, we will be able to
ascertain the cause of death," he said.
The state government has announced a compensation of
Rs one lakh to the parents of the infants.
The samples of the vaccine have been collected by the
Foods and Drugs Control department and sent for analysis.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will implement 'One Rank, One Pension' without fail: PM Modi
- Delhi: Shakuntala Gamlin writes to LG against AAP minister
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- President Pranab Mukherjee gives nod to re-promulgation of Land Acquisition Ordinance
- PM Modi's 'Mann Ki Baat' 8th edition: As it happened
- IMD predicts thundershowers in Delhi, Punjab and UP between June 1-3
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj