Four infants die after vaccination in Gujarat town
Kutch: Four infants died allegedly after
being administered a vaccine for measles at a government
hospital in Adipur town on Wednesday, district officials said.
The incident took place during `Mamta Day`, organised
by the district health department where children and pregnant
women are administered vaccines.
"As part of the `Mamta Day`, vaccines for measles were
administered to seven children, out of whom four developed
some reaction and died," Kutch Collector M Thennarasan said.
"The reaction time was very little, and the babies
died within 5-10 minutes after being administered the
vaccine," he said.
Chief Minister Narendra Modi has ordered a high-level
enquiry into the incident. He said that those responsible for
the unfortunate incident would be "severely" punished.
He said that entire batch of the vaccine has been
withdrawn from across the state.
Thennarasan said that the other three children who
were also given the vaccine are under observation.
Bodies of the four infants have been sent for
post mortem. "Only after the post mortem, we will be able to
ascertain the cause of death," he said.
The state government has announced a compensation of
Rs one lakh to the parents of the infants.
The samples of the vaccine have been collected by the
Foods and Drugs Control department and sent for analysis.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- PM Modi breaks silence on Dadri lynching incident
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands