Gandhians oppose construction of Mahatma Mandir by Guj govt
Ahmedabad: Veteran Gandhian Chunibhai Vaidya
has opposed the proposed `Mahatma Mandir` in the state saying
the Father of the Nation himself was against the concept of
"We are opposed to `Mahatma Mandir` as Gandhiji himself
was opposed to concept of huge monuments. If the state
government thinks that by constructing a `Mahatma Mandir` they
were honouring the Father of the Nation, then they are wrong,"
veteran Gandhian, Chunibhai Vaidya told agency.
He has even issued a statement co-signed by Gandhians Ila
Pathak, Prakash Shah and Gujarat Vidhyapeeth vice-chancellor
Sudarshan Iyengar in this regard.
"In fact this would be an insult of the Gandhian
principles...we are of the opinion that they are doing this
drama (building Mahatma Mandir) to give their image a
makeover," he said.
Modi wile laying the foundation stone of Mahatma Mandir
in Gandhinagar on May 1 had said that this Rs 100 crore
monument was conceptualised as a grand tribute to the Father
of the Nation.
Vaidya said Mahatma Gandhi is Father of the Nation and
everybody has right on him. "He (Gandhiji) in not the property
of any one class. Even after knowing this, if the state
government is using his name inappropriately, we have to say
this with regret," Vaidya said.
The Gandhian said state government is already facing
allegations of supporting the 2002 riots. "In this scenario
this (BJP) government does not qualify to undertake project
like Mahatma Mandir," Vaidya added.
He said if the Mahatma Mandir is to be used for
government functions like Vibrant Gujarat Summit, then
associating the name of Gandhiji with such monument would be
and insult to the great leader.
Vaidya also demanded that work on the Mahatma Mandir
project should be stopped immediately.
About Mahatma Mandir Modi had said this project was a
long cherished dream for him. The Mahatama Mandir would
connect the people not only from the country but from across
the world, he had said.
Modi had also said that by building Mahatama Mandir in
Gujarat he was propagating national interest, which was above
Modi has said that Mahatama Mandir was not a building or
a hall but it is an attempt to relive the life of the Father
of the Nation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Yasin Bhatkal calls wife from Hyderabad jail, talks of 'help from Damascus'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?