Gift clean Guj to Gandhi on his 150th birth anniversary: Modi
Gandhinagar: Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi on Wednesday appealed the people to "gift" Mahatma Gandhi a clean Gujarat on his 150th birth anniversary in 2019.
The BJP`s Prime Ministerial candidate was speaking at the Mahatma Gandhi Swacchata (cleanliness) Mission and e-Nagar project of the state Government at Mahatma Mandir here.
"In 2019, 150th birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi will be celebrated. This is not a small event. A man of the century was born on our earth. Why shouldn`t we take inspiration from him? What will we gift him? We should gift him his most favourite thing," he said.
Modi said cleanliness was very dear to Mahatma Gandhi and at each and every step of his life, he gave much importance to it. "The 6.5 crore Gujaratis will take this pledge of cleanliness and we will make Gujarat clean, so that Gandhi will want to reincarnate here."
He said a clean and healthy society would also inspire the nation-building process, and other cities and states would follow the initiatives.
"We will have to take this initiative as a movement and who else but Gandhi can become our inspiration. His views are so relevant even today....Gandhi was propagator of cleanliness throughout his life," he said.
Modi also lamented that "our mothers and sisters" have no access to closed toilets. "We talk about `nari-sanman` and `nari-gaurav`, (so) we should empathise with those who have to defecate in the open. We must make a commitment that nobody will defecate in the open," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow