Girl dies after consuming govt-distributed food
Rajkot: A five-year-old girl died and her three-year-old brother was hospitalised after they allegedly consumed the contents of a food packet distributed by the state government to fight malnutrition among children, police said here on Saturday.
Anganwadi workers in Maliya-Miyana town of the district had gone for door-to-door distribution the food packets in the town yesterday, police said.
The food packets were given as part of the state government`s `Bal Vikas Seva Yojana` scheme, they said.
According to police, Sayna Miyana and her brother Firoz started vomitting soon after consuming the content of the packet and were rushed to Rajkot Civil Hospital last night after being given primary treatment at a local hospital.
"Sayna died early this morning, while Firoz is in a stable condition," police said.
Victim`s father Jusab Miyana told the police that the food packets were distributed once a week, which is required to be cooked but the children ate it without cooking and started vomitting.
Local health department has seized the food packets and sent the samples for laboratory testing, sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Parties should be united against terrorism, says Rajnath Singh
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez