Girl dies after consuming govt-distributed food
Rajkot: A five-year-old girl died and her three-year-old brother was hospitalised after they allegedly consumed the contents of a food packet distributed by the state government to fight malnutrition among children, police said here on Saturday.
Anganwadi workers in Maliya-Miyana town of the district had gone for door-to-door distribution the food packets in the town yesterday, police said.
The food packets were given as part of the state government`s `Bal Vikas Seva Yojana` scheme, they said.
According to police, Sayna Miyana and her brother Firoz started vomitting soon after consuming the content of the packet and were rushed to Rajkot Civil Hospital last night after being given primary treatment at a local hospital.
"Sayna died early this morning, while Firoz is in a stable condition," police said.
Victim`s father Jusab Miyana told the police that the food packets were distributed once a week, which is required to be cooked but the children ate it without cooking and started vomitting.
Local health department has seized the food packets and sent the samples for laboratory testing, sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor