Girl dies after consuming govt-distributed food
Rajkot: A five-year-old girl died and her three-year-old brother was hospitalised after they allegedly consumed the contents of a food packet distributed by the state government to fight malnutrition among children, police said here on Saturday.
Anganwadi workers in Maliya-Miyana town of the district had gone for door-to-door distribution the food packets in the town yesterday, police said.
The food packets were given as part of the state government`s `Bal Vikas Seva Yojana` scheme, they said.
According to police, Sayna Miyana and her brother Firoz started vomitting soon after consuming the content of the packet and were rushed to Rajkot Civil Hospital last night after being given primary treatment at a local hospital.
"Sayna died early this morning, while Firoz is in a stable condition," police said.
Victim`s father Jusab Miyana told the police that the food packets were distributed once a week, which is required to be cooked but the children ate it without cooking and started vomitting.
Local health department has seized the food packets and sent the samples for laboratory testing, sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand