Girl gang-raped in Surat, 5 accused arrested
Zee Media Bureau
Ahmedabad: In yet another indication of rising crime against women, a girl was gang-raped by five people in Surat on Tuesday.
The horrific incident happened when the girl, reported to be 16-year-old, had gone out with her fiancé.
The Surat police have registered a case against the accuse, but are yet to nab anyone of the culprits.
The shameful incident comes to light days after the Delhi fast track court awarded death sentences to four main accused in the December 16 Delhi gang-rape case.
On August 23, a 23-year-old photojournalist was gang-raped in Mumbai by five men when she had gone to the Shakti Mills compound along with a male colleague on an official assignment.
There has been a huge debate across the nation for improving security to women. Earlier this year law related to sex crimes was amended after Justice Verma recommendations.
The Parliament had in March passed a tougher new law to punish sex crimes, including death for repeat rape offenders, after the fatal gang-rape of a student in December sparked unprecedented protests over the treatment of women in the country.
The Criminal Law (Amendment) Act 2013 or “anti-rape law” puts in place a slew of new provisions and tougher punishments, which include criminalising voyeurism and stalking and making acid attacks and human trafficking specific offences.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'