Girls got married from `village of prostitutes`
Banaskantha (Guj): Eight girls from Vadia
which is infamous for being the `village of prostitutes`, tied
the knot at a mass marriage event held here, paving the way
for a social change in a place where flesh trade has been a
A dozen other girls from the same village were
betrothed to prospective suitors at the gathering.
For Sarania community, a denotified tribe (DNT),
prostitution is not only tradition but also the only mean for
For Sarania women, flesh trade has been a norm for
generations. All women of the community, which has roots in
Rajasthan, prostitution is a currency, while the male members
at as pimps and bring clients to their wives and daughters.
"Eight girls got married in a traditional Gujarati
wedding. While 12 others got engaged who will be get married
afterwards in 1-2 years," said Mittal Patel, the coordinator
of NGO Vicharta Samuday Samarthan Manch (VSSM).
The social organisation has been working with Sarania
community over five years. It is for VSSM`s efforts that the
mass-marriage has been possible in the village.
Marriage or engagement of a girl in this community
means that she cannot be forced into flesh trade.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan