Godhra case conspiracy aimed at targeting `karsevaks`: Court
Ahmedabad: The aim of the criminal conspiracy
in the 2002 Godhra train burning case was to target
`karsevaks` travelling in the Sabarmati Express, the special
court has concluded in its judgement.
The court, on March 1, sentenced 11 accused to death and
20 others to life imprisonment. A copy of the judgement was
made available today.
"The cause of fire which took place in coach S-6 was not
short circuit or accidental because of any leakage of kerosene
from stove of any passenger; but definitely petrol in huge
quantity came to be poured inside the coach," the court has
"The target was not all passengers but definitely the
karsevaks who were travelling in this train."
The conspiracy was hatched on the previous day by Haji
Bilal, Faruk Bhana, Abdul Rajak Kurkur and Salim Panwala.
"As per the plan, Kurkur and Panwala both had gone to
Kalabhai Petrol Pump on moped on 26-2-2002 around 10 p.m.
taking with them other conspirators...in a tempo and purchased
140 litres loose petrol in different seven carboys."
Taking advantage of quarrel that took place on platform
and misbehaviour by `karsevaks` with Muslim girls, the
absconding accused Panwala and the accused Mehbub Ahmed alias
Latiko called people from nearby Signal Faliya, court holds.
"If there was no plan at all, it would have not been
possible to gather Muslim persons with deadly weapons within
five to six minutes and to reach near `A` Cabin on the railway
tracks," court says.
59 people died in the train burning incident, sparking
off communal riots in Gujarat.
The court held that as soon as the train stopped near
`A`Cabin after chain pulling, Kurkur and Panwala brought
a carboy containing petrol on a moped.
It was Kurkur and Panwala who poured petrol inside S-6
from window near the door of the coach, judgement says.
Hasan and Jabir climbed up the corridor place and by
use of force with kicks, opened the eastern side sliding door
of Coach S-6. They along with Saukat Charkha then entered into
Coach S-6 from the sliding door with Carboys containing petrol
after which Saukat opened the East-South corner door of the
Coach from where the remaining three (Imran Sheru, Irfan
Bhobha, Rafiq Bhatuk) entered the coach with carboys
and poured petrol.
After the coach caught fire all the accused persons
who were in it got down from the opposite side.
"If the petrol was not kept ready in loose form in
carboys on previous night near Aman Guest House, it would not
have been possible to reach with carboys containing petrol in
huge quantity immediately," court says, accepting prosecution
theory of conspiracy.
"(That)The quarrel or misbehaviour with Muslim girls by
karsevaks were the causes for spontaneous reaction can never
be accepted because as per the evidence on record, such
quarrel had also taken place earlier at Rudroli Station and
Dahod Station. However, it did not result into such serious
reaction," the court observes.
The judgement also notes that the town of Godhra is
known for its history of communal riots.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly