Godhra case: HC grants two months for submitting case papers
Ahmedabad: Gujarat High Court on Wednesday granted
two months` time to the special court to submit case papers of
the 2002 Godhra train burning case, in which 11 people have
received death sentence, while 20 others have been awarded
The division bench of Justices R R Tripathi and P P Bhatt
is hearing confirmation proceedings of the death sentence,
which has to be confirmed by the High Court, as per the law.
Special Judge P R Patel, who had given the judgement in
the case, had been asked by High Court last month to submit
all documents, but Patel wrote back saying that documents were
voluminous and photocopying would need some time.
Some of the documents were old and not fully legible
after photocopying, so they would need to be re-typed.
High Court today gave two months` time, asking special
court to send them at the earliest.
On March 1, special court had awarded death sentence to
11 people and life imprisonment to 20 others, in connection
with the 2002 Godhra train burning incident, in which 59
people died, triggering riots in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!