Godhra case: HC grants two months for submitting case papers
Ahmedabad: Gujarat High Court on Wednesday granted
two months` time to the special court to submit case papers of
the 2002 Godhra train burning case, in which 11 people have
received death sentence, while 20 others have been awarded
The division bench of Justices R R Tripathi and P P Bhatt
is hearing confirmation proceedings of the death sentence,
which has to be confirmed by the High Court, as per the law.
Special Judge P R Patel, who had given the judgement in
the case, had been asked by High Court last month to submit
all documents, but Patel wrote back saying that documents were
voluminous and photocopying would need some time.
Some of the documents were old and not fully legible
after photocopying, so they would need to be re-typed.
High Court today gave two months` time, asking special
court to send them at the earliest.
On March 1, special court had awarded death sentence to
11 people and life imprisonment to 20 others, in connection
with the 2002 Godhra train burning incident, in which 59
people died, triggering riots in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31