Godhra case: TV sting as evidence rejected
Ahmedabad: Gujarat high court on Friday dismissed a petition by one Salim Zarda, sentenced to death in 2002 Godhra train burning case, seeking additional evidence in the form of CDs of TV sting operation be brought on record.
A division bench of Justice Jayant Patel and Justice Paresh Upadhayay, while disallowing the plea, said that it was too "premature" to consider the request made by Zarda.
Zarda, who has been awarded death sentence along with ten others in the Godhra train burning incident, has in his petition, sought examination of journalist Ashish Khetan, who executed the sting operation in 2007.
The court said that if Zarda raised the demand at the relevant time, when final hearing on the petition for criminal confirmation of the death sentence and his appeal against the trial court verdict begins, they might consider it.
Senior counsel Nitya Ramkrishnan and lawyer Somnath Vatsa, representing Zarda, had submitted during hearing on the petition that the apex court-appointed SIT, which had investigated the Godhra carnage case, has taken the CDs of the same sting operation as evidence in the Gulburg and Naroda
Patiya riot case, also being probed by the same agency.
However, in the Godhra case, the SIT had not taken the same CD as evidence, they had said, adding that the trial court, which gave verdict on the Godhra train carnage, had erred by not calling Khetan as witness.
They argued that for once, Khetan should be called and then the investigating agency can decide whether his statement or his sting CD holds any value as evidence or not.
"How can not using the CD be decided without questioning him?" Ramkrishnan asked.
The SIT opposed calling of Khaitan as a witness, at the juncture, when the trial court has given its verdict in the case and now the matter is before the high court.
It further argued that the SIT had applied for the cross examination of Khaitan regarding his sting CD, however, it was not entertained by the trial court.
59 passengers, mainly karsevaks returning from Ayodhya, were burnt alive in S-6 coach of Sabarmati Express near Godhra railway station on February 27, 2002.
Following this, large scale communal violence had erupted in the state that resulted in over 1,000 deaths. A special court had, in February 2011, convicted 31, with death sentence to 11 and life imprisonment to 20 others,
and acquitted 63.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark