Godhra convict held after jumping bail
Ahmedabad: A Godhra train burning case
convict was on Tuesday arrested after he jumped the bail and
remained untraceable for over a month.
"Shaukat Badam alias Ghanchi (45), who was awarded life
sentence by the court last year, was arrested from the state
transport bus depot in the city," ACP Mayur Chavda said.
Badam, lodged in Vadodara Central Jail, had been granted
a temporary bail by the Gujarat High Court in December so that
he could attend his daughter`s wedding. However, he did not
return after the bail-period expired.
The ACP said that Badam hid in Godhra town and later in
Ahmedabad with the help of some relatives. He would be now
sent back to Vadodara jail.
Another Godhra convict, Bilal Abdullah Ismail, has been
absconding after jumping the temporary bail, crime branch
officials said. Bilal too has got a life sentence.
The special court, on March 1 last year, awarded death
sentence to 11 persons and life imprisonment to 20 others in
the 2002 Godhra train burning case.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference
- Muslims worldwide had celebrated after 9/11: Donald Trump