Godhra: Court to pronounce quantum of punishment on Tuesday
Ahmedabad: A Special court is likely to
pronounce the quantum of punishment for the 31 convicts in the
2002 Godhra train burning incident that killed 59 people and
triggered large scale communal violence in Gujarat.
Designated judge PR Patel hearing the case inside the
Sabarmati Central Jail here would pronounce the quantum of
punishment to those who were found guilty of criminal
conspiracy and murder on Tuesday.
The prosecution has sought death sentence for all the
31 convicts saying that it was a heinous act.
While the defence lawyers had pleaded leniency for the
accused and requested the court to take into consideration
their role during the incident, and considering their past
record, family circumstances and time spent in jail since
The court has accepted the prosecution`s contention
that there was a conspiracy behind the incident and convicted
31 under various sections of Indian Penal Code (IPC) like 302
(murder), 307 (attempt to murder) and 120B(criminal
They have also been convicted under IPC section 147,
148 (rioting with deadly weapons), 323, 324,325,326 (causing
hurt), 153A (promoting enmity between different groups on
religious grounds), various sections of the Indian Railways
Act, Prevention of Damages to Public Property Act and Bombay
The Court on February 22nd had acquitted 63 others, in
the burning of S-6 coach of Sabarmati Express in 2002 near
Godhra railway station where 59 persons were killed.
Following the Godhra train burning incident on
February 27, 2002, large scale communal violence had broken
out in various parts of Gujarat in which over 1000 people
died, mainly belonging to the minority community.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'