Godhra train carnage convict dies in Vadodara Jail
Ahmedabad: A convict in the 2002 Godhra train burning case, where 59 people were burnt to death after a mob attack on Sabarmati Express, passed away in Vadodara Central Jail on Sunday following heart attack, police said.
"Shaukat alias Bhano Farooq Patadia (33) complained of chest pain this afternoon and was rushed to the Sayajirao Gaekwad hospital. He died of heart attack," Jail Superintendent, Vadodara Central Jail, R F Sangada said.
He was awarded life sentence in March 2011 by designated judge P R Patel. His appeal, with other 31 convicts, against the judgement was pending in the Gujarat High Court.
Shaukat was arrested on August 12, 2003 by Gujarat police and charged with offences under different sections of IPC including 302 (murder), 307 (attempt to murder) and 120b (criminal conspiracy).
In the wee hours of February 27, 2002, a violent mob attacked Sabarmati Express train which resulted in the death of 59 people, mostly karsevaks who were returning from Ayodhya, and triggered communal violence across Gujarat that claimed the lives of over 1200 Muslims.
Eleven people have been sentenced to death and 20 others, including Shaukat, given life imprisonment by a trial court in the case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!