Godhra train carnage convict dies in Vadodara Jail
Ahmedabad: A convict in the 2002 Godhra train burning case, where 59 people were burnt to death after a mob attack on Sabarmati Express, passed away in Vadodara Central Jail on Sunday following heart attack, police said.
"Shaukat alias Bhano Farooq Patadia (33) complained of chest pain this afternoon and was rushed to the Sayajirao Gaekwad hospital. He died of heart attack," Jail Superintendent, Vadodara Central Jail, R F Sangada said.
He was awarded life sentence in March 2011 by designated judge P R Patel. His appeal, with other 31 convicts, against the judgement was pending in the Gujarat High Court.
Shaukat was arrested on August 12, 2003 by Gujarat police and charged with offences under different sections of IPC including 302 (murder), 307 (attempt to murder) and 120b (criminal conspiracy).
In the wee hours of February 27, 2002, a violent mob attacked Sabarmati Express train which resulted in the death of 59 people, mostly karsevaks who were returning from Ayodhya, and triggered communal violence across Gujarat that claimed the lives of over 1200 Muslims.
Eleven people have been sentenced to death and 20 others, including Shaukat, given life imprisonment by a trial court in the case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?