Govt assessing land for new hub for NSG commandos in Gujarat
New Delhi: Government on Tuesday said it is assessing the suitability of land for creating a new hub of the National Security Guard (NSG) commandos in Gujarat.
"On receipt of a request from the government of Gujarat, the Union Government has conveyed in principle approval for setting up of a NSG regional hub in Gujarat, subject to the government of Gujarat providing land free of cost at a location found suitable by the NSG. The state government has offered two pieces of land for this purpose.
"The NSG team had already visited both the sites and submitted its report. The suitability of the land offered by the state government is being assessed," Minister of State for Home Kiren Rijiju said in a written reply in Lok Sabha.
The government has already established four regional hubs of NSG at Chennai, Hyderabad, Kolkata and Mumbai in the aftermath of the 2008 Mumbai terror attacks.
Its main commando base is located in Manesar in Haryana.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore