Govt submits "confidential" info in Haren Pandya case to HC
Ahmedabad: The State government on Friday
submitted a document in a sealed cover to Gujarat High Court,
claiming that it contained "confidential" information about
the 2003 Haren Pandya murder case, in which 12 persons were
convicted four years ago.
The document was submitted to the division bench of
Justices R R Tripathi and P P Bhatt (which is hearing appeals
by those convicted in the murder case) by the Additional
Advocate General, Tushar Mehta.
Mehta said the document was a new development in
connection with the case, and court could consider it while
hearing the appeals.
Government Pleader P K Jani said that division bench had
not yet opened the sealed cover and read the document, which
would be in the custody of High Court registry. Court might
open it during the hearing on appeals if deemed necessary, he
Next date of hearing is yet to be notified.
This move by the state government assumes significance,
as Jagruti, wife of the late former minister, Pandya, had
written a letter to Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi last
year requesting him to seek a re-investigation by CBI.
Referring to statement of one of the witnesses in
Sohrabuddin Sheikh fake encounter case -- Azam Khan -- to the
CBI, Pandya`s wife had said in the letter she believed there
was a link between her husband`s murder and the fake
In her letter of September 2, 2010, Jagruti requested
Modi to ask CBI to re-investigate the murder, to find out who
had ordered the assassination, and the reasons.
One of the main accused in the Sohrabuddin case,
suspended IPS officer D G Vanzara, had initially supervised
investigation in the Pandya case, until the case was handed
over to CBI.
Jagruti disagreed with CBI`s finding that Pandya was
killed because of his anti-Muslim views.
Haren Pandya was minister of state for Home in the
Keshubhai Patel government. He was replaced by Gordhan
Jhadafia after Modi was appointed as Chief Minister in 2001.
In March 2003, Pandya was murdered outside Law Garden
here where he had gone for a morning walk.
The CBI arrested 15 persons out of which 12 were
convicted by a special POTA court in July 2007.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’