Govt virtually rules out recall of Gujarat governo
New Delhi: The government on Friday virtually ruled out the possibility of recall of the Gujarat governor at least for the time being notwithstanding the political controversy raked up by the BJP over appointment of Lokayukta in the Narendra Modi-ruled state.
"No, why should, we contemplate of anything of that kind... the matter is before the court... The BJP government has gone to the court. Why should it be necessary for us to be commenting on it here or for them to disrupt Parliament? Are they (BJP) not confident of what the court will decide," Law Minister Salman Khurshid told reporters here.
He was replying to questions on the BJP`s demand for the recall of Kamla Beniwal.
The Opposition party is up in arms against R A Mehta`s appointment as Lokayukta by Beniwal without consulting Modi and his council of ministers with senior party leader L K
Advani leading a delegation of party MPs to President Pratibha Patil today and and demanding immediate recall of the governor.
Refraining from commenting on the merits of the case, Khurshid called for waiting for the decision of the court in this matter.
"Let the decision be finally taken by the court," he said.
At the outset Khurshid said, while the BJP government of Gujarat has a position on the issue that the state government should have been consulted on the issue, Congress leaders in
the state have an equally strong position on the need to have a Lokpal in Gujarat, which did not have this body for years.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know