Govt virtually rules out recall of Gujarat governo
New Delhi: The government on Friday virtually ruled out the possibility of recall of the Gujarat governor at least for the time being notwithstanding the political controversy raked up by the BJP over appointment of Lokayukta in the Narendra Modi-ruled state.
"No, why should, we contemplate of anything of that kind... the matter is before the court... The BJP government has gone to the court. Why should it be necessary for us to be commenting on it here or for them to disrupt Parliament? Are they (BJP) not confident of what the court will decide," Law Minister Salman Khurshid told reporters here.
He was replying to questions on the BJP`s demand for the recall of Kamla Beniwal.
The Opposition party is up in arms against R A Mehta`s appointment as Lokayukta by Beniwal without consulting Modi and his council of ministers with senior party leader L K
Advani leading a delegation of party MPs to President Pratibha Patil today and and demanding immediate recall of the governor.
Refraining from commenting on the merits of the case, Khurshid called for waiting for the decision of the court in this matter.
"Let the decision be finally taken by the court," he said.
At the outset Khurshid said, while the BJP government of Gujarat has a position on the issue that the state government should have been consulted on the issue, Congress leaders in
the state have an equally strong position on the need to have a Lokpal in Gujarat, which did not have this body for years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- DNA: Prasoon Joshi's hard-hitting poem depicting society's mentality towards females
- DNA: Encouraging the traditional Indian habit of eating food with hands
- S Korea offers Tokyo-funded money to 'comfort women'
- Jurgen Klopp tries to keep peace with frustrated Daniel Sturridge
- Iraqi, Syrian foreign ministers meet in Baghdad
- Will not be bullied, will definitely visit Pakistan to talk peace: Ramya
- Xioami Redmi Note 4 launched, comes with 10-core processor, 4,100 mAh battery