Govt virtually rules out recall of Gujarat governo
New Delhi: The government on Friday virtually ruled out the possibility of recall of the Gujarat governor at least for the time being notwithstanding the political controversy raked up by the BJP over appointment of Lokayukta in the Narendra Modi-ruled state.
"No, why should, we contemplate of anything of that kind... the matter is before the court... The BJP government has gone to the court. Why should it be necessary for us to be commenting on it here or for them to disrupt Parliament? Are they (BJP) not confident of what the court will decide," Law Minister Salman Khurshid told reporters here.
He was replying to questions on the BJP`s demand for the recall of Kamla Beniwal.
The Opposition party is up in arms against R A Mehta`s appointment as Lokayukta by Beniwal without consulting Modi and his council of ministers with senior party leader L K
Advani leading a delegation of party MPs to President Pratibha Patil today and and demanding immediate recall of the governor.
Refraining from commenting on the merits of the case, Khurshid called for waiting for the decision of the court in this matter.
"Let the decision be finally taken by the court," he said.
At the outset Khurshid said, while the BJP government of Gujarat has a position on the issue that the state government should have been consulted on the issue, Congress leaders in
the state have an equally strong position on the need to have a Lokpal in Gujarat, which did not have this body for years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- Panel discussion over politicians using Dalits as vote banks
- Siachen: All 10 missing soldiers hit by avalanche confirmed dead
- DNA: Analysing problem of traffic jams choking Delhi roads
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review
- Shocking ISIS video: English-speaking 10-year-old boy beheads hostage, warns America