GPP attacks Modi govt for new Lokayukta bill
Ahmedabad: Criticising the Gujarat government`s move to bring Lokayukta Aayog bill in the ongoing session of the Assembly, Gujarat Parivartan Party (GPP) on Saturday alleged that it was an attempt to delay the appointment of the ombudsman in the state.
"The proposal to bring new Lokayukta Aayog bill by the Modi government aims at suppressing scams in the state, and is a tactic to delay Lokayukta`s appointment," GPP Vice President Suresh Mehta told reporters.
"At a time when order on curative petition in Lokayukta case is pending in the Supreme Court, and a Lokayukta Bill is pending in Parliament which can be passed anytime now, what is the necessity to bring a new bill," he asked.
The Modi government has been defying constitutional authorities, be it Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) of India or National Human Rights Commission (NHRC), Mehta charged.
The Gujarat government had yesterday announced its intentions to introduce a new Lokayukta Aayog Bill 2013 in the ongoing assembly session.
The new bill, on its enactment, would replace the existing Gujarat Lokayukta Act 1989.
Mehta said, "Moreover, as per judgements of the past speakers of Gujarat assembly, a bill which doesn`t find mention in Governor`s address to the house cannot be tabled."
"All the bills proposed to be tabled in the House during a session should find enlistment in Governor`s address, otherwise it cannot be tabled," Mehta said, referring to many decisions given by the former Speakers of Gujarat assembly.
Mehta also said the state government was annually incurring an expenditure of Rs 33 lakh, on the closed office of Lokayukta in the state for nine years, as per information given by the government itself.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Videos of Indian casualties on Pakistani channels 'doctored', say Army sources
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof