GPP withdraws Maninagar candidate, now its Modi Vs Shweta Bhatt
Ahmedabad: Gujarat Parivartan Party (GPP) led by Keshubhai Patel on Monday withdrew its candidate expressing solidarity to Congress candidate from the Maninagar seat Shweta Bhatt, the wife of suspended IPS officer Sanjiv Bhatt, who is contesting the election against Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi.
The GPP pulled its candidate back a day after Shewta appealed to all political parties to withdraw its candidates in order to make her electoral battle against Modi easier.
"I appeal to all the political parties which oppose BJP to support me in my political battle against the Gujarat Chief Minister... I appeal especially to GPP Chief Keshubhai Patel to withdraw his candidate," Bhatt told reporters yesterday.
The Maninagar constituency is considered to be a BJP stronghold.
In her maiden press conference, Shweta Bhatt said, "I am not fighting this political battle for myself alone ... I am fighting it on behalf of entire Gujarat, so those who have faith in the Constitution and democracy... political outfits and individuals should support me."
"I am a very new entrant into politics... I have come with a true heart, to speak the truth, and want to do something," she said.
Asked what would be her response if Keshubhai Patel made a counter appeal, Bhatt said, "So far no such appeal has been made from GPP. If it comes, we would see."
Replying to a query about complaint filed in a Lucknow court that her husband violated service rules by accompanying her to file nomination, Bhatt said, "I am an Indian woman and would expect my husband to support me in my endeavours. He came to extend moral support to his wife."
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!