GPP withdraws Maninagar candidate, now its Modi Vs Shweta Bhatt
Ahmedabad: Gujarat Parivartan Party (GPP) led by Keshubhai Patel on Monday withdrew its candidate expressing solidarity to Congress candidate from the Maninagar seat Shweta Bhatt, the wife of suspended IPS officer Sanjiv Bhatt, who is contesting the election against Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi.
The GPP pulled its candidate back a day after Shewta appealed to all political parties to withdraw its candidates in order to make her electoral battle against Modi easier.
"I appeal to all the political parties which oppose BJP to support me in my political battle against the Gujarat Chief Minister... I appeal especially to GPP Chief Keshubhai Patel to withdraw his candidate," Bhatt told reporters yesterday.
The Maninagar constituency is considered to be a BJP stronghold.
In her maiden press conference, Shweta Bhatt said, "I am not fighting this political battle for myself alone ... I am fighting it on behalf of entire Gujarat, so those who have faith in the Constitution and democracy... political outfits and individuals should support me."
"I am a very new entrant into politics... I have come with a true heart, to speak the truth, and want to do something," she said.
Asked what would be her response if Keshubhai Patel made a counter appeal, Bhatt said, "So far no such appeal has been made from GPP. If it comes, we would see."
Replying to a query about complaint filed in a Lucknow court that her husband violated service rules by accompanying her to file nomination, Bhatt said, "I am an Indian woman and would expect my husband to support me in my endeavours. He came to extend moral support to his wife."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi