GPP withdraws Maninagar candidate, now its Modi Vs Shweta Bhatt
Ahmedabad: Gujarat Parivartan Party (GPP) led by Keshubhai Patel on Monday withdrew its candidate expressing solidarity to Congress candidate from the Maninagar seat Shweta Bhatt, the wife of suspended IPS officer Sanjiv Bhatt, who is contesting the election against Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi.
The GPP pulled its candidate back a day after Shewta appealed to all political parties to withdraw its candidates in order to make her electoral battle against Modi easier.
"I appeal to all the political parties which oppose BJP to support me in my political battle against the Gujarat Chief Minister... I appeal especially to GPP Chief Keshubhai Patel to withdraw his candidate," Bhatt told reporters yesterday.
The Maninagar constituency is considered to be a BJP stronghold.
In her maiden press conference, Shweta Bhatt said, "I am not fighting this political battle for myself alone ... I am fighting it on behalf of entire Gujarat, so those who have faith in the Constitution and democracy... political outfits and individuals should support me."
"I am a very new entrant into politics... I have come with a true heart, to speak the truth, and want to do something," she said.
Asked what would be her response if Keshubhai Patel made a counter appeal, Bhatt said, "So far no such appeal has been made from GPP. If it comes, we would see."
Replying to a query about complaint filed in a Lucknow court that her husband violated service rules by accompanying her to file nomination, Bhatt said, "I am an Indian woman and would expect my husband to support me in my endeavours. He came to extend moral support to his wife."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof