Guj: 23 thalassemic children test HIV positive
Rajkot/Ahmedabad: Twenty-three children
suffering from thalassemia have tested HIV positive at
Junagadh Civil Hospital, officials said here on Saturday.
"Twenty three children have tested positive for HIV in
Junagadh civil hospital. Over 50 per cent of the children were
taking blood transfusion from multiple sources," Gujarat
Health Minister Jaynarayan Vyas said today citing a report
from the test conducted on the children three days back.
"The pre-blood transfusion test conducted on them
shows they were infected prior to admission in Junagadh civil
hospital," he said.
The children from various towns of the district
suffering from thalassemia visit the hospital to avail the
facility of blood transfusion which is offered twice a week
free of cost.
"A probe has begun. The blood collected both from
the blood bank and from donors has been sent for testing,
Junagadh Civil Hospital Superintendent G T Dayalu said.
"Patients might have been HIV positive even before
coming here for blood transfusion," he said.
"The children might have been transfused HIV infected
blood without conducting a proper test," a senior doctor of
the hospital said.
Gujarat government has also launched an inquiry to
probe into how the children contracted the infection.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says