Guj: 23 thalassemic children test HIV positive
Rajkot/Ahmedabad: Twenty-three children
suffering from thalassemia have tested HIV positive at
Junagadh Civil Hospital, officials said here on Saturday.
"Twenty three children have tested positive for HIV in
Junagadh civil hospital. Over 50 per cent of the children were
taking blood transfusion from multiple sources," Gujarat
Health Minister Jaynarayan Vyas said today citing a report
from the test conducted on the children three days back.
"The pre-blood transfusion test conducted on them
shows they were infected prior to admission in Junagadh civil
hospital," he said.
The children from various towns of the district
suffering from thalassemia visit the hospital to avail the
facility of blood transfusion which is offered twice a week
free of cost.
"A probe has begun. The blood collected both from
the blood bank and from donors has been sent for testing,
Junagadh Civil Hospital Superintendent G T Dayalu said.
"Patients might have been HIV positive even before
coming here for blood transfusion," he said.
"The children might have been transfused HIV infected
blood without conducting a proper test," a senior doctor of
the hospital said.
Gujarat government has also launched an inquiry to
probe into how the children contracted the infection.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29