Guj activist says Ramdev flouted poll code; CEO seeks report
Navsari: Gujarat Chief Electoral Officer Wednesday asked the district collector to submit a report on whether yoga guru Ramdev violated the Model Code of Conduct by making political comments during a religious function here as alleged by an RTI activist.
"I have asked the collector to submit a report. We will take appropriate action after verifying the claims made in the complaint," CEO Anita Karwal told reporters in Gandhinagar.
City-based RTI activist Kanu Sukhadia had lodged a complaint with Navsari collector against Ramdev on March 6 for allegedly making political comments during a religious function.
Sukhadia said Ramdev while attending a ritual at Ramji temple in Navsari town on March 5 exhorted people to vote for BJP, even as some local political leaders were present in audience.
"On March 3, I had informed the district collector to keep a watch on the function and stop it from becoming a political event as poll code is in effect. But, Ramdev made several political comments and openly asked people to support BJP in elections," Sukhadia said.
Sukhadia said he recorded Ramdev`s speech and the entire event and lodged complaint with collector on March 6.
The CEO has now asked the collector to submit a report in this regard.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional