Guj Cong approaches Krishna over fisherman`s body
Vadodara: Gujarat state Congress president Arjun Modhwadia on Friday said that he had requested the Union External Affairs Minister to make arrangements for bringing back the body of a Gujarat-based fisherman who died in Karachi last month.
Rambhai Kanabhai Vala, resident of Tad village in Una taluka of Junagadh district, had been arrested by the Pakistani marine authorities in November 2011 in the Arabian sea. While in captivity, he fell sick and died at a hospital in Karachi on May 28.
His family is still waiting for the body to be transported back. "I have requested SM Krishna to look into the issue and see to it that the body is flown to India at the earliest," Modhwadia told PTI over phone today.
He said that he also spoke to Vala`s family and assured that the matter had been taken up at the highest level of government.
The Congress leader also claimed the credit for recent release of 314 fishermen from Pakistan. It became possible after Gujarat unit of Congress took up the matter with UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi and others, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I know why Indrani Mukherjea murdered my sister Sheena: Mikhail Bora
- OROP issue: With no breakthrough in sight, Army veterans may meet PM Narendra Modi today
- Sheena Bora murder case: All that we know about Indrani Mukherjea
- Pregnant teen buried alive, wakes up in coffin
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukherjea's former husband, Sanjeev Khanna, arrested by Mumbai Police