Guj Cong criticises VHP for supporting Modi as PM candidate
Vadodara: Leader of Opposition in Gujarat Assembly Shankersinh Vaghela on Monday criticised the Vishwa Hindu Parishad (VHP) and some religious leaders for supporting Chief Minister Narendra Modi as the prime ministerial candidate.
Many religious leaders feel that religion and culture can be protected only under the leadership of Modi, he said while talking to reporters here.
"A major section of religious leaders in fact asked RSS Chief Mohan Bhagwat to back Modi as BJP`s prime ministerial candidate," Vaghela said.
The Congress leader criticised Modi over Gujarat government`s review petition in the Supreme Court on the issue of the appointment of Justice (retired) R A Mehta as the state Lokayukta. The apex court had upheld Gujarat Governor`s action on the appointment of as lokayukta in the state.
"By filing the review petition in the Supreme Court, Modi wants to delay the appointment of Lokayukta in the state as he (Modi) fears he will have to face same music which was faced by former Karnataka Chief Minister B S Yeddyurappa after the appointment of Lokayukta in Karnataka," Vaghela said.
He expressed concern over drinking water shortage in Saurashtra, Kutch and North Gujarat and said an agitation would be launched on this issue.
Vaghela alleged that the Gujarat government had spent crores of rupees on Vibrant Gujarat Summits in the state which, he said, could have been spent for laying Narmada Canal network in Saurashtra, Kutch and North Gujarat.
He pointed out that there are 20 lakh unemployed people in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes to SP workers after Akhilesh Yadav suspends Shivpal Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes letter to SP party workers after Akhilesh Yadav sacked Shivpal Yadav
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees