Guj Cong criticises VHP for supporting Modi as PM candidate
Vadodara: Leader of Opposition in Gujarat Assembly Shankersinh Vaghela on Monday criticised the Vishwa Hindu Parishad (VHP) and some religious leaders for supporting Chief Minister Narendra Modi as the prime ministerial candidate.
Many religious leaders feel that religion and culture can be protected only under the leadership of Modi, he said while talking to reporters here.
"A major section of religious leaders in fact asked RSS Chief Mohan Bhagwat to back Modi as BJP`s prime ministerial candidate," Vaghela said.
The Congress leader criticised Modi over Gujarat government`s review petition in the Supreme Court on the issue of the appointment of Justice (retired) R A Mehta as the state Lokayukta. The apex court had upheld Gujarat Governor`s action on the appointment of as lokayukta in the state.
"By filing the review petition in the Supreme Court, Modi wants to delay the appointment of Lokayukta in the state as he (Modi) fears he will have to face same music which was faced by former Karnataka Chief Minister B S Yeddyurappa after the appointment of Lokayukta in Karnataka," Vaghela said.
He expressed concern over drinking water shortage in Saurashtra, Kutch and North Gujarat and said an agitation would be launched on this issue.
Vaghela alleged that the Gujarat government had spent crores of rupees on Vibrant Gujarat Summits in the state which, he said, could have been spent for laying Narmada Canal network in Saurashtra, Kutch and North Gujarat.
He pointed out that there are 20 lakh unemployed people in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over India losing NSG membership bid
- Panel discussion over India losing NSG membership bid Part II
- Panel discussion over India losing NSG membership bid Part III
- Panel discussion over India losing NSG membership bid Part IV
- Chennai: Woman Infosys employee stabbed to death at railway station
- NASA's Hubble captures new dark spot on Neptune!
- NASA plans to refuel satellite with its robotic spacecraft Restore-L
- Uma Bharti admitted to AIIMS, stable
- Microsoft's 'Project Premonition' mosquito trap helps tackle spread of Zika and other diseases
- Parts of Uttar Pradesh receive rain, water level rising in major rivers