Guj Cong launches `Jal Adhikar Yatra` on water woes
Ahmedabad: Gujarat Congress on Wednesday launched `Jal Adhikar Yatra` on the issue of water scarcity, from the temple town of Dwarka.
"In these 12 days we will spread awareness among the people, asking them to stand up for their water rights which this government has been depriving them of," said Gujarat Congress chief Arjun Modhwadia, addressing a gathering before flagging off the Yatra.
"Instead of providing water to the people of Saurashtra, Kutch and North Gujarat who are getting drinking water every 5 to 10 days, Chief Minister was busy wasting people`s money over celebrations of BJP`s 33rd foundation day in Ahmedabad."
Leader of Opposition Shankarsinh Vaghela said, "This government did nothing for the storage of rain water during the last monsoon. It started digging the well after the `fire spread`."
He claimed that people in Amreli, Jamnagar, Bhavnagar districts were getting very little water, that too only every every 4-5 days, but still authorities did nothing.
Yatra will pass through worst-affected districts: Jamnagar, Junagadh, Porbandar, Rajkot, Surendranagar, Amreli, Bhavnagar, Patan and Banaskantha. It will end at Ambaji in Banaskantha district on April 21.
BJP said Congress was shedding crocodile tears and misleading the people. "Instead of shedding crocodile tears and misleading people with the drama of Jalyatra, Congress should join in helping people who are facing scarcity," said state BJP media cell convener Jagdish Bhavsar in a statement.
Congress leaders from Gujarat should lobby with Centre for raising the height of Sardar Sarovar Narmada Dam, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Assembly elections: BJP likely to announce its first list of candidates for UP, Uttarakhand
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre